Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reflection

An event that shaped the person I am today, strong and independent, is when my mom was taken by immigration. My mom, who I depended on the most for everything and I loved so much, was in one quick instant taken away from me. It was one morning when I woke up and heard people talking in the room. I pretended to be asleep while I quietly listened in. I could hear my mom searching through papers as some other voices were telling her to hurry up. I was so scared but I tried to remain calm. Minutes later, my mom had left the room and out the apartment door. Soon enough I was told she was taken to be deported for failing to show up for court. Everything inside me had been crushed and broken to pieces. Even though I was heartbroken, I still had my younger brother and sister to take care of and tell them what had happened and for this I had to be strong about it. I tried to stay strong and not cry, tell them everything was going to be alright.

Hours later, my aunt had told me it was official she was being deported. It was very hard for me and it sucked that I couldn’t do anything to help her. My mom had called me the next morning telling me to stay strong and not to worry, to take care of my brother and sister and soon she’d see us again. The first week I was so devastated I felt weak. But as time passed, I grew to be more independent of myself now that my mom wasn’t around. I tried to be a mom to my brother and sister and helped them anyway I could. Since that day, I’ve learned to do things on my own and not depend on people to get things done for me anymore. I’ve grown to be a stronger woman and I’m soon going to bring my mother back especially now that I’m 18. When she sees me, she’s going to see how successful and well grown I’ve become and make her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment