Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reflection

In elementary school, I loved reading. Books fascinated me a lot that I would check out at least 5 books every two weeks. I developed to read faster and I finished reading books really quick. Then one day I told myself that before I graduated elementary school I would read all the books in the library, but of course that never happened. As I entered junior high I was introduced to sports so that was another thing that came to fascinated me a lot too. Eventually, sports took a lot of my time and I had less time too read books I wanted because I already had assigned books from teachers to read which sucked tremendously. As time went by, I lingered away from reading because I developed enjoying more time playing sports or hanging out with my friends. I knew I was distancing myself from a hobby I use to love but at that time I didn’t care. I knew how to read fast so I thought that was a strength being a reader and that’s all that really mattered in being a reader. Also, I never had problems reading or understanding text from books so it was even more reason for me to not read anymore. Then came high school and I finally came to the point where I just hated reading. It was very boring to me and while everyone else was reading I was either drawing on paper or passing notes or playing tic-tac-toe with my friend next to me. In my junior year of high school, we read this book called the Fountainhead, a very complex and interesting book. However, as we read through it, I had a hard time analyzing the author’s text sometimes. That’s when it hit me that I was missing as a reader more understanding and methods of analyzing text. All of those years of not reading had immensely dropped my reading skills. Now, I’m stuck in a reading class in college. Nonetheless, I’m trying to bring back up my reading skills I had as a young kid and hopefully stay and continue reading more like I use to back in the young days.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true i could really relate to everything you are saying. When i was little in elementry school i remember i used to love reading everything. When i first learned how to read i thought it was the coolest thing, you know? Reading every little text showing off your reading skills. The children books were so easy and amusing beacause all the pictures. Now that we are much older reading isnt as fun as it was. Its just another thing we kind of have to do.

    ReplyDelete